Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Seattle Monorail - R.I.P.
Seattle voters overwhelmingly killed the monorail plan this Tuesday November 8th. Despite having voting YES FOUR PREVIOUS TIMES. (reminds me of some other recent past elections). Seattle proved that inflated estimates, gross mismanagement, and unrealistic revenue projects can and will derail even no-brainer mass transit solutions.

I know that there are many who will disagree with me here, but I think it’s a shame. I understand why it got axed, but I’m not happy about it. I think it would have greatly increased the value of property up and down the route, and made living in areas near stations a great amenity. But the monorail management dug their own grave here and did everything wrong possible. Oh well, at least Sound Transit is still moving forward with it’s light-rail solutions.

No comments: